I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make this. It takes all of 5-10 minutes, depending on how much you’re wanting to make. I make a half gallon size; that seems to last us most of the year. Though it takes up to 6 months to fully extract the flavor from the beans, you can start using the extract after 4 weeks. Just keep checking it for intensity of flavor as the days go by.
What you will need:
1 half gallon glass jar with lid
24 vanilla beans
8 cups of rum (the cheapest one you can get is fine)
small sharp knife
What you need to do:
1. Slit the vanilla beans one at a time length wise. Open them up (like a book). Scoop out the “caviar” inside.
2. Put the caviar and bean inside the glass jar as you go.
3. When all beans are in the jar, fill to the 8 cup mark with rum.
4. Put the lid on and shake it good.
5. Place in a dark, cool place in your kitchen and every so often (whenever you remember) give it a good shake.
6. After about 4-6 weeks, taste it and perhaps begin using it in recipes.
7. By 6 months it is completely done, and can be strained and bottled.
Enjoy, or share with a friend for the holidays. For some great nourishing recipes check out Real Food Wednesday on Kelly the Kitchen Kop