On my search for a last minute dinner, my mom suggested quiche. It’s been a while since we’ve had that, so I decided to give it a whirl. Thought I used peas, carrots, celery and onion, you could use whatever veggies you have on hand. Some examples are broccoli, , asparagus, spinach, and then throwing in some pretty tomato slices. This recipe is loaded with great protein and healthy fats. If you’re new to eating a traditional foods diet, check out the Weston A Price’s dietary guidelines here. Using this recipe from Eat Nourishing as my basis, here is what I did:
Crustless Vegetable Quiche
- 10 pastured eggs
- 2 cups raw cream
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon real salt
- 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 cup real butter, preferably organic
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1-2 cups frozen peas
- 2 celery, chopped
- herbal seasonings to taste
- handful fresh herb(s), chopped – I used parsley
- 2 cups cheese, I used parmesan, asiago, and gouda
- Put butter in 9 x 13 pan and put in the oven while it preheats to 350.
- With the coconut oil, saute all the vegetables until they’re soft.
- Meanwhile, whisk cream, eggs, salt and powders together.
- Take pan out of oven, add sauteed veggies, then the herbs, then the cheese, and pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Blend ingredients with a fork until the eggs are evenly distributed.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes.
We’re enjoying this with a fresh green salad, and tropical flavored home-brewed kombucha tonight. Blessings on your family!