I have been loving Shoshanna’s new book “Making Babies”. It has inspired me to try different recipes, and make more tinctures myself. Always on the search for treats that do not use sugar, I had to try her chocolate clusters. This is my take on her recipe (p. 100):
Raw Cacao Clusters
makes enough to fill a large cookie sheet
- 1 cup cacao butter
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 3/4-1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 3/4- 2 cups raw honey
- 1-2 cups shredded coconut
- 1-2 cups nuts (I used a mix of macadamia and pecans), chopped
1. Over a low heat, warm the cacao butter and the coconut oil; once melted, turn off heat immediately.
2. Stir in cacao powder, then honey, then slowly add the coconut and nuts.
3. Keep stirring until combined; add more of nuts or coconut if mixture seems too runny. You want it to be thick enough to spoon out, like cookie batter.
4. Spoon out onto a cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for about an hour to set.
5. Bag up the clusters. I keep mine in the fridge to make sure the warm weather doesn’t melt it too much.
Enjoy. This is a great way to have a little snack, and get that healing, metabolism-boosting coconut oil into your daily diet. Plus, it’s always nice to get a good chocolate fix, knowing it’s raw and full of its minerals – so good for you!