It’s that time of year again. The time of year when people eat a lot of sugar (refined flours are no exception), are indoors more (less time out in the fresh air), and less active. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. It’s great to have remedies for when one falls ill, but honestly, prevention is so much better than letting the guard down. Here are some keys to keeping the immune system primed and healthy to deal with all the bugs going around:
- Avoid sugar and white stuff – sugar immobilizes the immune system. It essentially takes the good line of defense our body has against infection and shuts it down – probably not the best strategy.
- Eat those ferments – probiotics in food form are invaluable – whether it’s kraut, kefir, yogurt, water kefir, kombucha, or anything else your family loves.
- Good fats – get that fermented cod liver oil/butter oil out and use it liberally (Green Pasture is still my go-to brand).
- Superfoods and Vitamin C Berry Powders – great to boost up the body systems, whether you like Moringa, Spirulina, Goji, or other Superberries (great post on how to make your own Vit C balls with berry powders), it’s good to have a line up of body builders.
What if you still get sick after all that?! Well, there are plenty of good home remedies for beating the latest virus/bacteria. (Adult servings can be split in half for children when appropriate.)
- Stomach Bugs: 1 Tb bentonite clay mixed in water twice daily for a couple days; or 5 drops of Digiz in a capsule twice daily for a couple days; drinking red raspberry leaf and peppermint tea constantly; if you think it’s food poisoning from eating out somewhere recently, then the activate charcoal 2 tsp in water twice daily for a couple days would do the trick.
- Flu/Cold: 5 drops Thieves twice daily for 4-5 days; Colloidal Silver 1 tsp every 2 hours for 4-6 days; 1 tsp cinnamon powder in raw honey daily for 4 days; Anti-Plague remedy by Dr. Christopher (or Super Garlic) or the tea – fresh lemons, ginger, cayenne, raw apple cider vinegar, garlic cloves, horseradish – in some warm water- drinking it 5 times a day; more ideas in Be Your Own Doctor, too!
- While healing, it’s helpful to:
- Double up on probiotics
- Double up on good fats – coconut oil, organic butter, cod liver oil, etc.
- Homemade bone broth
- Avoid all sugars and unfermented grains
God help us all to stay healthy and strong this upcoming winter season.