I found this cute little spice shop online that uses organic, natural spices and have really enjoyed their combinations. So, I decided to try making my own blends up. My favorite was our Cajun blend – cayenne, thyme, oregano, fennel, paprika, cumin, mustard and white pepper. But I ran out today! So I thought it was time I tried out the Jamaican Jerk I had put together. The blend is: thyme, allspice, ginger, cayenne, paprika, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon and white pepper. The smell is invigorating. It has a spicy, sweet flavor with lots of depth.
Jamaican Jerk Roasted Veggies
(for a large family – 10 people sized)
- 8 organic Russet potatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bunches broccoli, chopped
- 4-5 cups black beans (I soak and then cook these up in bulk and then freeze it in ready to grab quart bags)
- 3 colorful carrots, chopped
- Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- Pink Salt
- Tallow, Coconut oil or butter
- Put potatoes in one large casserole dish and the veggies in another.
- Throw in 3 big scoops of your choice of fat on each pan.
- Sprinkle salt until well coated.
- Sprinkle the seasoning very lightly – it’s pretty spicy, and you can always add more spice if you want later.
- Bake the potatoes first in a preheated oven at 385 for about 30 minutes.
- Then add the veggie dish to the oven and stir the potatoes. Bake another 30 minutes. Stir every 15 min or so to help evenly spread cooking and seasonings.
- Taste veggies to see if they’re done, bake longer if necessary; add salt or seasoning to desired taste.
- Either serve with potatoes on bottom and then veggies on top, or next to each other.
- Could add a garnish of soured cream. ENJOY!