This summer our CSA farmer has had a bounty of delicious veggies. We are so blessed to have a such a great, affordable resource for our family. Enjoying our second year of hosting a CSA drop, the benefits just keep coming in! I had to make way in my fridge for a new load this past week and needed to make a tasty dish that was packed full of these veggies. After the birth of our 10th baby, I also required some extra minerals and nutrients as I continue to recover and nurse the newest sweet bundle – so I used a chicken stock made from a dear friend with the feet and bones of chicken for a super broth. Here’s the gist of what I did:
Summer Garden Tuna Stew
serves a small army
- 1/2 gallon homemade chicken stock
- pink salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper and minced garlic to taste
- 8 potatoes, finely chopped
- 1 purple onion, finely chopped
- 4 roasted tomatoes
- 3-4 roasted (or fresh) summer squash or zucchini, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, julienne style
- 1/2 lb roma beans, cut
- 2 glass jars of tuna, drained
- 2 sweet corns, cut off the cob
- almost 1 quart of soured raw cream
- handful of chopped fresh basil
- Combine all ingredients except the cream and basil into a large stockpot and heat until simmering.
- Allow to cook on a gentle simmer for about 30 minutes.
- After the potatoes are softened, add cream and basil and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with some toasted sourdough and ENJOY!