Today is my fourth child’s seventh birthday. Each child is allowed to pick his/her birthday dinner and also flavor of cake. Now that Micaiah (my eldest) is into cake decorating, she also asks what colors they would like. She received a cake decorating kit for her birthday along with these completely natural dyes for her frostings. Nathaniel picked chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, with blue and yellow decor. I will definitely post some pictures later if my 3 year old doesn’t smear his fingers all over the cake like he did for my birthday cake. 🙂
I love Elana’s Pantry for dessert recipes. However, I am not a fan of grapeseed oil or agave nectar. So, I do make slight changes on her overall excellent recipes. Here is one I adapted from her German Chocolate Cake:
Chocolate Cake – with coconut flour
serves our family twice
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sucanat, rapadura, or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon real salt
- 2/3 cup palm shortening
- 10 pastured eggs
- 1/3 cup cream, preferably raw and grass-fed
- 1 dropper vanilla stevia
- Mix all the dry ingredients first in the mixing bowl.
- Add shortening and let mix well.
- Add each egg individually, while mixer is running on low.
- Add stevia and cream last.
- Let mix on medium speed for several minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven in a 9x 13 greased pan, or 2 circle pans at 350 for about 25-30 minutes.
- A knife should come out clean when it is done.
- Let cool completely before decorating.
- Enjoy with some real butter frosting, or just lightly dusted with homemade powdered sugar.