After soaking 3/4 of a gallon of oats during the week, I save about 5 cups worth for a breakfast cake on Sundays. This makes for quick preparation and I can go get dressed and ready for the day while it’s baking. Plus, I do like special breakfasts on the weekends. We have pancakes on Saturday and usually some sort of “coffee” cake on Sundays. This is my revised version of a coffee cake to be a healthy and filling breakfast. Sometimes I add the crumbled toppings, sometimes not. It’s great either way.
Sunday Morning Breakfast Cake
serves enough for 20 people, or 2 breakfasts around here
- 5 cups soaked oats
- 9 pastured eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cup sucanat
- 1 teaspoon real salt
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- scant teaspoon of each: allspice, nutmeg, and ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts or other nuts
- 1/4 cup sucanat
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Fold in 2 cups of frozen berries in the cake batter
- Fold in 1 cup of chopped nuts, coconut shreds, or seeds
- The night before or prior, soak 5 cups of rolled oats with 1 cup buttermilk and enough water to dampen the oats, but not so much that they’re swimming. Mix well and let sit with a towel over at least 12 hours.
- The next day add oats, coconut oil and eggs to the mixer bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour into 9 x 13 (or slightly larger) greased pan and spread the batter around evenly.
- For the topping, melt the butter, add to it chopped nuts, sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir it well and pour as evenly as possible over the top of the cake.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes.
- It will be done when your knife is mostly clean.
If you like a lighter cake, you can add some cream or coconut milk to the batter to thin it a little. Either way, it’s quite moist. While it’s baking, feel free to finish up your morning routine. Best with a good glass of fresh milk, hot herbal tea, or a good fruit smoothie. Enjoy!