Having made up a bit too much sourdough starter (read why sourdough here), I decided to try out using them for pancakes again. Only this time I thought they needed a bit more protein and something other than maple syrup on top. The recipe I concocted balances somewhere between crepes and pancakes. My starter is made with organic whole wheat pastry, though I am converting it over to either rye or spelt this week, or perhaps both and we’ll see what the difference is in the loaf rise, taste, etc. It’s always an experiment around here.
Sourdough Crepe Pancakes
- 3 cups freshened sourdough starter
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp real salt
- 1/8 cup sucanat
- 1 Tb vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda, aluminum free
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, save the baking soda. Whip up well with a fork.
- Sprinkle soda in. Mix up carefully. The batter will rise to about double, so make sure you started out with a good sized bowl.
- Pour desired amount of batter onto a well-greased (I used coconut oil) cast iron skillet.
- Wen the pancakes have little bubbles or look firm around the edges, flip.
- Enjoy with the blueberry cream recipe below.
Blueberry Cream Sauce
- 1 cup raw, slightly soured (for probiotic properties) cream
- 2-3 cups organic blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup fresh milk, preferably raw
- 1/4 cup raw honey or 1/3 cup sucanat
- Blend all ingredients on high in Blendtec or similar blender.
- Pour onto buttered pancakes and enjoy!