What a fun name. Learning the health benefits of Yerba Mate tea, I have tried including it in some recipe. My new favorite hot drink of the season has been choffy with maca root the cream. I discovered choffy at a homeschool convention last year and had wondered what I could do with these cacao nibs I had. Perfect solution! I roasted them in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes. I then ground them in my Blendtec. Here’s my recipe to include the Yerba Mate:
Yerba Mate Choffy Latte
Makes about a quart
- Put 1/3 cup ground roasted cacao nibs into an empty quart jar.
- Add 2-3 TB roasted Yerba Mate loose leaves.
- Pour hot water to fill the quart and allow to steep for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 1/8-1/4 cup cream or whole, raw milk to a small blender (like MagicBullet), and 1 tsp Maca Root powder.
- Blend up until frothy and powder incorporated (about 20 seconds).
- Strain out “choffy” mixture into a mug and top with maca cream.
- Sweeten with raw honey and/or stevia to taste.
Enjoy! I find this to be a great alternative to having a sweet treat or snack. Plus, superfoods never tasted so good!