Breast milk is an amazing composition that cannot be re-created. However, there are sometimes circumstances where nursing that little one is not possible. For parents wanting the next best thing to breastmilk, here is a formula that can be used. If you would like to read up on the toxicity and dangers of infant formulas on the market, here and here are some articles. All ingredients can be found on Amazon. If one is unable to locate a raw milk farmer (for the goat milk if baby is under 10 months, and raw cow if baby is over 10 months), there is a dried goat milk powder that is of good quality for this formula. Of course, a raw milk would be preferable to dry for its nutrient profile.
More information from Weston A Price Foundation here.https://wordpress.com/post/wellnourishedhome.com/3267
Fresh Goat Milk Formula
- 3 3/4 cup raw goat milk from reputable farmer
- 1 cup filtered water (dilute formula until baby is 3 months)
- 1/4 tsp Moringa powder
- 1 TB Blackstrap Molasses (organic)
- 1 TB fresh cow whey (or goat if under 10 months) *can also use colostrum
- 1 gram Renew Life Infant Probiotics per day (can spread it out over each bottle)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 3 drops Rosita’s cod liver oil (after age of 3 months)
- 1/2 tsp ghee (either goat or cow) – can add more if needed
Mix all ingredients in blender and store in fridge for up to 1 week.
Dry Goat Milk Formula
Follow directions on Mt Capra per 8 bottle for the following:
- 1 scoop (14g) – Whole Goat Milk Powder
- 1 tablespoon – Goat Milk Lactose
- 1/2 teaspoon – Grass-Fed Goat Milk Ghee
- 1 scoop (1,450mg)* – Goat Milk Colostrum Powder
- Renew Life Infant Probiotics – use 1 scoop per day
- 1/8 tsp Moringa powder nuts.com – per day
ADD per 8 oz bottle
- 1/8 tsp organic blackstrap unsulphured molasses for flavor and minerals
- 1/4 tsp coconut oil per 8 oz bottle
- 1 drop Rosita’s cod liver oil (after age of 3 months) per 8 oz bottle
- 1/2 tsp ghee (either goat or cow)
To MIX INTO A BOTTLE: Use Spring water, Berkey (or Propur), or Filtered Well Water – heat water – add the molasses, coconut oil, and ghee while the water is hot to melt the oils. Then add all the other ingredients once the water is lukewarm and shake well.
**As the baby gets to be around 5 months of age, you can add 1 capsule of Vital Proteins or Radiant Life Beef Liver to each quart; and go up on the cod liver oil to 6 drops per day.
1 thought on “Homemade Infant Formula (goat milk)”
Great post Gina. I’m currently in Uganda on a mission trip and the orphanage where I am is adding a baby home later this year. I shared your post with the leadership.
Byron Hill Hill Family Farm (615)330-3153 http://hillfamilyfarm.wordpress.com
Sent from my iPad