After trying out Elana’s recipe for Paleo Samoas (which happened to be my favorite childhood girl scout cookie), I had to make up some good caramel topping to go with them. I enjoyed her recipe, but I doubled it and added more eggs and used coconut flour instead of all almond. I used coconut milk and raw honey to keep this treat dairy and sugar free; especially helpful while I continue to heal my pancreas and colon. Keeping in mind, I don’t measure much when I bake, here’s the basic ingredients for the topping:
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond butter, no sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut milk powder (I use Wilderness Family Naturals from Azure)
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tb real vanilla
- Add ingredients to a sauce pan and heat on low.
- Continue mixing ingredients until well combined.
- Allow to “caramelize” for a few minutes. It should be moderately thick when finished.
- Set aside to cool.
We have also enjoyed this sauce for apple dipping, topping on pancakes… Enjoy!