After trying out Elana’s recipe for Paleo Samoas (which happened to be my favorite childhood girl scout cookie), I had to make up some good caramel topping to go with them. I enjoyed her recipe, but I doubled it and added more eggs and used coconut flour instead of all almond. I used coconut milk and raw honey to keep this treat dairy and sugar free; especially helpful while I continue to heal my pancreas and colon. Keeping in mind, I don’t measure much when I bake, here’s the basic ingredients for the topping:
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond butter, no sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut milk powder (I use Wilderness Family Naturals from Azure)
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tb real vanilla
- Add ingredients to a sauce pan and heat on low.
- Continue mixing ingredients until well combined.
- Allow to “caramelize” for a few minutes. It should be moderately thick when finished.
- Set aside to cool.
We have also enjoyed this sauce for apple dipping, topping on pancakes… Enjoy!
2 responses to “Caramel Sauce”
Mmmmmm! Looks good. I recently made my own almond butter – turned out good! Also made no bake cookies with it! I’d like to check out the coconut milk powder, too.
Thanks, Rachel! Love homemade almond butter. We get the coconut milk powder because of the BPA lining and aluminum issue with cans. Azure now comes through KY – maybe they have a drop near you guys if you’re interested in bulk buying. Hope all is well!