Sourdough Steps & Recipe
7:00am Freshen Starter – equal parts flour to starter; ½ amount of water (I use 1/2 organic pastry flour and 1/2 whole rye flour)
(about 4-6 hours to freshen starter – depending on temperature in home)
12:00-1:00pm Make the dough – transfer to bulk ferment bowl
Every 30 minutes after making: fold dough 4x’s to continue activating -opt.
5:00-6:00pm For Einkorn: Divide dough into proofing baskets (3 for this recipe)
And leave out for 2nd ferment
For Spelt/Wheat: Put in fridge for 3nd ferment
(about 8-10 hours total for the Einkorn it should be ready to bake)
8:00pm Preheat oven (for about 40 min with dutch oven) 450-500
9:00pm Transfer bread to parchment paper, score and put in pan
Bake for 20 minutes with lid; 25-35 minutes with lid off can turn
heat down to between 400-435
Let bread cool for about 20 minutes before slicing; wait until completely cooled before storing.
(For Spelt: baking would be the next day early morning – same baking instructions as Einkorn)
Freshen starter – equal parts starter to flour, 1/2 amount of water
- 3 cups active starter
- 5 cups warm water
- 2 TB Himalayan salt (or Celtic/Real)
- 12-16 cups flour (less if it’s spelt, more if einkorn – less if pre-milled, more if milled yourself)
- Mix in Kitchen Aid or Bosch for about 3-5 minutes for spelt/wheat (on second setting) and 2-3 min for Einkorn (on first setting) – or hand knead until elastic
- Transfer to large bowl for bulk ferment
- After bulk ferment, transfer to proofing baskets
- After 2nd ferment in baskets – transfer to pans for baking
1 thought on “Sourdough Steps & Recipe”
Hello Gina! I thought of you this morning when I was reading about the amazing benefits of moringa…remembering how you said it was basically your multivitamin. 🙂 I was motivated to go make a “moringa milkshake” which I’m drinking as I write this!
Where do you source your einkorn? Weve been ordering berries from amazon but they’re out right now. Hope to be able to order more soon.
Any other suggestions for staying especially healthy during this time or what you would do for yourself if you happened to contract this virus?