This is a favorite for a couple of my kids. They ask for it every year. Who says you can’t enjoy your birthday in a healthy way? Go ahead and eat your cake, too.
- 4 cups sprouted flour (I used a mix of wheat and rye)
- 1.5 cups sucanat (or coconut sugar)
- 1 TB pumpkin spice mix (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger)
- 1/2 tsp Real salt
- 2 tsp baking soda, aluminum free
- 2 cups raw milk, kefir, or buttermilk
- 6 pastured eggs
- 2 cups coconut oil, or org. butter
- 7 cups organic carrots, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Add other wet ingredients a little at a time, mixing well.
- Pour into a greased (I use palm shortening) casserole pan, or two cake pans.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans (if using round cake pans)
I usually use a pinch of salt, 8 oz of org. cream cheese, vanilla extract, and either maple syrup, raw honey, or powdered evaporated cane sugar (that I do in the Blendtec). Amounts of sweetener vary depending on taste. If using a granulated sugar, use a bit of raw milk to help it mix and whip up well. Using the whip attachment in my Kitchen Aid mixer works great.
ENJOY with some Chai tea!